Wednesday, November 21, 2018

What exactly is "Adulting" - A response to Bill Maher


Less than two weeks ago as of this writing, Stan Lee, co-creator of some of the most iconic superheroes in pop-culture (most notably Spider-Man), founder of Marvel Comics & Marvel Studios, and a proud advocate for education and literacy through the arts, sadly passed away at the age of 95. Many of his fans, as well as casual admirers, mourned his passing and celebrated his incredible life in their own ways. Some people created artworks commemorating his legacy, some people donated money and books (especially comic books) towards his foundation (more on that in a moment), and some people chose to insult his impact on pop-culture and humanity while also insulting the intelligence of his fans and admirers. I am of course referring to the comments made by Bill Maher on his blog. Which, as you may have guessed, struck a nerve with me that made me want to discuss it here on my own blog. 

For those of you who may not know, Bill Maher is a comedian and political commentator. He is the host of the HBO show Real Time with Bill Maher, a show that is sort of like The Daily Show with Trevor Noah but a little more assertive in its politics. Speaking personally, while I tend to agree with Mr. Maher on specific social and political issues (most of the time) I have never appreciated his attitude towards those he criticizes. Bill Maher carries himself with a kind of smug and arrogant tone. As if to say "I'm smarter than you so shut up!". This is best showcased in his documentary film, Religulous, in which he observes and comments on the idiocracies of religion. This is a discussion for another time, so all I will say about it here is that while I agree with the point behind the film, I don't appreciate the attitude of the film. 

Anyway, not long after Stan Lee's passing, Mr. Maher posted a brief article on his blog, where he blatantly and distastefully insulted and undermined the importance of Stan Lee's legacy. Even worse, Mr. Maher went on to directly insult the intelligence of those who admired Stan Lee and enjoy his comic books. Going so far as to claim that the adult people who still enjoy comic books and/or superheroes (or anything else of that nature) were the kind of ignorant and stupid people who caused Trump to become President. Needless to say, I took some issue with that remark. 

You can find a link to Bill Maher's blog titled "Adulting" right here

Now, before I go any further, I would like to acknowledge that while I don't agree or appreciate Mr. Maher's comments, I understand where they are coming from. It goes without saying that there are sects of nerd culture that is populated by people who are, to put it mildly, less-than-civil. People who fit the stereotype of the troglodyte living in their mother's basement playing video games all day and engaging in Twitter wars over ridiculous and irrelevant things. The kind of people that could best be described as "man-children," as in people who refuse to take on the responsibilities of the real world preferring to remain isolated in their own reality. It is sad and unfortunate, and I pity those who are such people. 

Having said that, this stereotype does not, and should not, reflect the entire comic book culture, or indeed any aspect of nerd culture. 

Mr. Maher's main argument seems to be that comic books are strictly for children and that adults have no business continuing to enjoy them. Furthermore, he seems to think that the only impact that Stan Lee had on people as a whole was to encourage them to watch dumb movies. Okay, he didn't actually use the word "dumb" in his blog, but that's the feeling I got from it. This impression is incredibly wrong for many reasons. Starting with the nature of comic books (also knowns as graphic novels). While they did indeed start out as entertainment for children, and remain such to an extent, they are no longer "only" for children. Like any art form, comics have evolved into a universally appreciated medium. Comic books are no longer limited to superhero adventures (although those have grown as well). They can be about real-world events, aspects of the human condition, and profound philosophical undertakings. 

One of my favorite examples of this phenomenon is the graphic novel series Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. This comic book series is an autobiography of a young girl's upbringing in a liberal household in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. It chroniclals her experiences in rather harsh times, the impact her family had on her growing up, and her struggles to become an independent woman in a civilization that frowns upon the very notion. It is one of my favorites graphic novels of all time. Another prime example is a little comic book titled Pride of Bhagdad. The story of a pride of Lions who escape the Bhagdad Zoo during the bombing of 2003. It is a story told from the perspective of the animals, but it reflects anxieties and fears of the people at the time. It is a book that is not afraid to show the horrors of war and the high price for the loss of innocence. Again, one of my favorite books ever made. I'm still waiting for the movie adaptation. 

Then there is Mr. Maher's perception of Stan Lee's impact on people as a whole. I don't know how much Mr. Maher followed Stan Lee's life (if at all), but if he had done his research before posting his blog, he would have seen that Stan Lee was more than a creator of mass entertainment. As I mentioned at the start of this blog, Stan Lee was an advocate for education. One of the reasons he enjoyed making comic books was because it allowed children the opportunity for literacy. He eventually started The Stan Lee Foundation which is a non-profit organization dedicated to education and literacy across the nation.

Furthermore, many of his creations, especially his superheroes, went on to inspire many people all over the world. Superheroes are more than just entertainment for children. They are embodiments of the best aspects of human nature. They encourage and inspire people of all walks of life to do better and to be better. Speaking personally, I can remember a time in my childhood when it was superheroes that played a vital role in shaping me into the person I am today. 

As a kid, I was bullied. I had a hard time fitting in, and I found it difficult to make friends. Days at school felt like punishment for something I didn't realize I had done. While my family was always there for me, and I am ever grateful for their continued love and support, it was the way of the superhero that ultimately prevented me from a dark path. At some point in my bullied existence, I was tempted to fight back. I wanted to make the ones who hated me for no reason at all pay for their unwarranted insolence. I was gearing up to take matters into my own hands and deliver what I thought would have been justice. Until I remembered a valuable lesson that I had learned from admiring superheroes. That lesson is as follows: 

Sometimes the ones you believe to be your enemy are only acting as such because they are not as fortunate as you. They may not have the love you possess or are unable to confront their own insecurities, and need to make others feel as awful as they do themselves. Reacting to these people with unprovoked violence is, ultimately, self-defeating. Destroying those who trouble you for seemingly no reason will not end your suffering, nor will it stop the pain of the ones who do you wrong. The best way to confront these peoblems is not by ignoring them or wishing them ill, but by obtaining a different perspective. Looking at the situation from another angle thereby gaining a better understanding. Knowledge brings power, and with great power comes great responsibility.

Were it not for the philosophical underlining of superheroes, there might not have been much to stop me from doing something I might have deeply regretted later on in life. It is this very aspect of superheroes that makes them so appealing to both children and adults. It is why superheroes have evolved with the times, grown as characters, inspired countless people to be better versions of themselves, and I am proud to call myself a superhero fan. 

The truth is that Stan Lee was so much more than a comic book writer. He was an icon for good. A man who inspired the best and brightest in all of us. His legacy is not just of superheroes but of what they represent. Being a fan of comic books well into your adult life does not mean that you refuse to grow up. The real world is not always a pleasant place, yet we face it and deal with it all the time. We all need a means of escape from it once in a while, and comic books are just one of the many ways to do so. Comics are not just entertainment, they are only one of the many ways in which people may enrich their lives. This is the real legacy of Stan Lee. 

Now, on the off chance that Bill Maher himself is reading this blog right now, I would like to talk to him directly for a moment: 

Mr. Maher, you seem like a smart person. In fact, I would go so far as to say that you sound like an incredibly intelligent person. However, I get the impression that you are using your intelligence in the wrong way. To paraphrase a character from a movie you likely have not seen, intelligence is a privilege that should be used for the betterment of humankind. By making those blatant and arrogant comments about Stan Lee and his fan base on your blog, thereby insulting the real legacy of a genuinely great human being, you have effectively abused that privilege. I would highly encourage you to re-evaluate your current stance on comic book culture and indeed nerd culture as a whole. I would also ask that you spend a little more time researching something you want to comment on before you blog about it. Because publishing an opinion about something without fully understanding it is what Trump does every day, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to be associated with the likes of him. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I am TheNorm, thank you all for reading. 

Excelsior! 

Art by Sam Ding


No comments:

Post a Comment

Riddle of Fire - Little Film With A Big Heart

  Rent on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon, and YouTube      Sometimes, a movie is so unexpected, heartfelt, and enjoyable that you can't h...