Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Frozen 2 - Better the second time around (mostly)


Back in February, I published my reaction to the Frozen 2 trailer, in which I briefly recounted my opinions on the first movie and my renewed interest in the series with the next film. The short version is that I liked the ideas and the characters within the film without actually enjoying the movie itself. I felt that it was a waste of potential and should have been better. Even so, I still appreciated many of the thematic elements within the story and also, like everyone else, fell head over heels for Elsa as a character. So much so that not only do I wish she had more time in her first movie, I was genuinely hoping for her to have a stronger presence in the next. That much, at least, has been made real in this movie, for which I am grateful. As for the rest of the film, while I cannot say that it is perfect on its own merits, I can say that I found it be a significant improvement from the first. If only because it has a much more coherent and satisfying narrative. Oh, and the creators of the film thankfully confirmed that Elsa is indeed what we all thought even though the movie itself will not. Let's just say I'm having Legend of Korra flashbacks. 

Taking place six years after the events of the first film, the story follows two sisters, Elsa (Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell) as the Co-Queens of the Kingdom of Arendelle...or is Elsa the Queen and Anna is technically still a Princess?... I dunno! Anyway, They rule their kingdom with kindness and altruism and have settled down into a happy life, for the most part. Things begin to stir up when Elsa starts hearing a strange feminine voice that seems to be calling her to somewhere. Later, it's revealed that there is a mysterious and magical forest that was once an ally to Arendelle until an unknown event put the two at odds with each other, and the wood was sealed off by a magical mist. This particular forest is alive with the spirits of Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water (enter your own Last Airbender and/or Final Fantasy jokes here), and it is they who have suddenly awakened and called to Elsa. Now, to protect her home and her family, Elsa and Anna must venture into the unknown to find the truth, and in doing so, right the wrong that was made. 

For the most part, the film is relatively stable. It makes better use of its main characters, the story is better structured, and the general themes of self-realization and acceptance, as well as friendship, love, and the importance of understanding history are all well presented and always appreciated. I can honestly say, without a doubt, that I did enjoy this movie better than the first. Even so, Frozen 2 is still not without its flaws. 

For one thing, I had an issue with the songs. Not the amount of them or their overall quality, but their placements in the movie. There were moments when, much like the first film, the songs were too close together. A song number, at least in my opinion, should not be followed up with another one immediately after. This over-eagerness to get to the next song number has the potential to diminish their intended impact. Thankfully, that never really happens here, but it got pretty close. Also, some of the songs, while nicely composed and brilliantly performed, felt unnecessary. One song, in particular, titled Lost in the Woods, stands out. I understand why it was in the film, but for some reason, minor spoiler, they played it in such an over-the-top comedic fashion, that it didn't feel genuine. This specific moment was supposed to be about a man overcoming his fear and embracing his feelings, yet the actual scene felt like a cheesy music video on MTV...from the 80s. 

To be fair, not all of the songs share this issue. Elsa gets most of the songs in the film and, as performed by the unconquerable Idina Menzel, are fantastically radiant! Her two main melodies, Into the Unknown and Show Yourself, are the highest of highlights for the film's music. While they may not reach the level of acclaim as Elsa's song from the first movie, her new songs carry a charm of their own that will assuredly stand the test of time. I should note that I have always been a fan of Idina Menzel and her singing voice. I already own two of her albums and, the first thing I did after watching this movie, was to download her songs from the soundtrack. They are genuinely that spectacular and best showcase how much of a pleasing and resonating voice Elsa has. 

Another issue I had with the film is that it often felt at times as though there was stuff missing. In addition to a few scenes from the trailer that were not present in the film, as well as a number of songs featured in the deluxe edition of the soundtrack that were also not in the movie, it occasionally felt as though some scenes were meant to go on a little longer and possibly go into s specific direction, only to kind of forget about it in the end. I cannot point out a particular moment when I felt like this, but I still had that little feeling here and there while watching the film. It was never so massive as to be distracting or diminish narrative cohesion, but it was a bit strange, to say the least. If Disney releases an extended cut of this film when it comes out on BluRay, I just might have to check it out. 

Setting aside these issues I personally had with the film, it does still have several good points. 

The visuals, as you would expect from a Disney animated film, are absolutely breathtaking. The colorful landscapes, the character designs, the renditions of water, and the flying leaves are all gorgeous to behold. Despite having a stylized presentation, there were one or two shots that looked so convincing, for a split second I forgot I was watching an animated movie. 

The film's strongest point is the enhanced relationship between Elsa and Anna. Compared to the first film, not only is their chemistry more believable, but their relationship feels more genuine and even tangible. To the point that when they were separated at one point in the story, I was genuinely afraid that they were never going to see each other again. This time around, their love is indeed the heart of the film. 

The writing, for the most part, is a bit more intelligent, engaging, and plays around with fascinating themes and ideas. One, in particular, the idea that water can have memory, I personally found to be most intriguing. The concept is utilized in a smart way for the story as well as for some creative visuals. Though some of the jokes didn't totally make the landing for me, the kids I shared the audience with did get a good laugh, which I appreciated. All of the characters, especially Elsa and Anna, have more satisfying character arcs than before and are given more engaging roles in the story. While I was disappointed that Disney didn't jump into the "Give Elsa A Girlfriend" movement as I would have liked them to, I can still say that, at the very least, they're keeping that idea open and not making any effort to shut it down. Speaking personally, I think they should just set Elsa free entirely, but that's a discussion for another time. 

The MVP award must go to Bruni, the Fire Salamander. This little guy is so adorable and so much fun, especially when interacting with Elsa that he makes me wish he had more to do in the story. I have no doubt that he's most likely just there to give Disney a means of making more money with toys and merchandise, but I don't care! Just look at this guy! He's too cute to be mad or frustrated with! 




I cannot say that Frozen 2 is entirely a great movie, but I can say that I personally found it be a more satisfying and enjoyable experience when compared to the first film. Those who share my feelings on the first film can easily cherry-pick events from the first movie and jump right into this one, while fans of the first film are sure to appreciate the callbacks and expansion of the story. There may be moments when the movie feels like it's trying too hard or not hard enough, but it never feels like it doesn't know what it's doing overall. I stated in my blog, as mentioned earlier regarding my reaction to the trailer that one could easily view the first movie as an introduction to the characters and the world rather than a narrative, and jump right into Frozen 2 for a much more satisfying story. Having seen the film, I can hapilly stand by that assesment. This may very well be, for the most part, the Frozen movie I have been waiting for. 

Is this movie worth seeing? 
Mostly, Yes. 

Is it worth seeing in Theaters? 
Maybe. 

Why? 
Unless you have children and are therefore going to see this in theaters regardless, you may prefer to wait until video to check this one out. While I did enjoy watching it, and would gladly do so again, I would personally prefer to do so with the ability to skip specific parts. As I did find parts of the film to be unnececary and just a little annoying. 

Ladies & gentlemen, I am TheNorm, thank you all for reading, and have a Happy Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Riddle of Fire - Little Film With A Big Heart

  Rent on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon, and YouTube      Sometimes, a movie is so unexpected, heartfelt, and enjoyable that you can't h...