Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Readers Request - St. Elmo's Fire


Stream it on FuboTV, Showtime via Amazon. 
Rent it on Amazon, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube. 


Despite being a child of the 90s, I have a fond appreciation for some of the greatest classics of the 80s. Especially the coming-of-age stories that were very prominent back then. Some of my favorites include The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and The Big Chill (which I know isn't a "coming-of-age" story, but it's close enough). No matter what story you want to tell, the essential ingredient, and what makes these films so memorable is the characters. People with real-life struggles, conflicts, and flaws (both internal and external), allow viewers to enjoy a story of hope and growth. When we relate to the characters, not only do we want to see them succeed, but they can also inspire us to achieve great things ourselves.


In contrast, the characters in St. Elmo's Fire makes me want to take a blowtorch to every copy of this wretched trainwreck. I have no idea why so many children of the 80s see this abomination as one of the essential classics of that decade because this has to be one of the ugliest, insulting, and misleading films I have ever had the misfortune to sit through. The passion may burn deep, as the poster proclaims, but my fury burns deeper. 


The story follows a group of seven college friends trying to make their way through adulthood after graduation. The film opens with the group celebrating together at a place called St. Elmo's Bar. One might think that this would be another potentially engaging take on the school friends coming-of-age story, not unlike the film Diner from three years prior. Except, whereas Diner had three-dimensional characters with relatable personalities and sympathetic struggles, St. Elmo's Fire is stuck with one-dimensional jackasses with despicable characterizations and juvenile behavior that borderlines sociopathic. No one in this movie learns a lesson, strives to become a better person than who they were before, and don't have anything resembling a narratively satisfying character-arc. They seem to start as terrible people and end as appalling people, if not worse. 


Probably the most insulting aspect of the film, at least to me, is the way it deliberately demonizes homosexuality, which is indeed a surprise, given the film's director, Joel Schumacher (RIP). One could argue that, given the time, he was unable to treat the subject in the manner he might have seen fit. Also, there is the notion that early-career artists don't usually get much of a say in how they want to handle any given subject. Even so, I can't help but feel that someone was in the wrong state of mind about themselves when making this film. 


If you indeed loved this movie growing up, and it is an essential part of your adolescence, then I am genuinely happy for you. It is not my intention to shame anyone who likes something I happen to dislike. I just saw something different in this movie that rubbed me the wrong way. St. Elmo's Fire is, at least in my opinion, a film with an idea for a decent coming-of-age story, but it fails miserably in its execution. I honestly recommend that you not bother with this "classic" at all. As I mentioned earlier, try Diner instead. 


Ladies & gentlemen, I am TheNorm, thank you all for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Riddle of Fire - Little Film With A Big Heart

  Rent on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon, and YouTube      Sometimes, a movie is so unexpected, heartfelt, and enjoyable that you can't h...