Monday, February 7, 2022

Station Eleven - *snore*...I'm sorry, what happened?

 


Three Episode Test - FAIL

    I like post-apocalyptic stories; I like cinematography that primarily utilizes available light; I like the idea of a traveling theater troupe; I like Mackenzie Davis and Himesh Patel. All of these things put together should result in a great series I can totally enjoy beyond measure. Instead, I was hooked with the first episode, disappointed with the second, bored with the third, and finally gave up about twenty minutes into the fourth. Each subsequent episode I watched seemed to spend more time building up another plot point and side story and less time showcasing how they were all supposed to be interconnected. Not to mention occasionally stopping dead in its tracks to show a short scene that doesn't appear substantial to the episode at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I understand the show is kind of an anthology with interconnected stories that all kind of merge towards the end, but it feels like the series is taking the needlessly long scenic route when it could have taken the highway once in a while. I just got tired of how long it took to get where it wanted to go. 

    As a friendly reminder, I tend to initially measure the quality of a television show with what I call the Three-Episode-Test. If the show retains my interest after the first three episodes, I will continue to watch it, as I find it exciting and engaging. If it loses me before the first three episodes, I'll maybe try and give it a few more, but most of the time, it's already too late. This is why I have no star rating for the show; I can't provide a complete & comprehensive review of the show. I can only offer my initial impressions. 

    The main story takes place in a potential future where civilization has collapsed as a large portion of the human population is wiped out by a mysterious variant of the flu (points for relevancy). The main character, a young actress named Kristen (Mackenzie Davis), lives a peaceful life with her traveling theater troupe. The series cuts back and forth between periods ranging from before, during, and after the pandemic. Parts of it chronicle Kristen's childhood growing up during the apocalypse while occasionally spending time with one of the supporting characters at a specific time. Occasionally cutting away to moody atmospheric shots, possible hallucinations, and cults somehow connected to a poetic graphic novel one of the characters wrote and illustrated.  

    If that all sounds confusing and disjointed to you, don't worry, that's how the show feels most of the time (at least in the first three episodes). 

    The main issue with the show is that it's taking too long to connect all the dots. Yes, slow-burn stories can be good, and I enjoy a good one myself. But this feels like a textbook example of doing far too much way too soon. While the characters are mostly likable, the imagery is pretty, and the production design is appropriate, the narrative felt too preoccupied with less attractive filler and excessive build-up. It's like baking a cake while reading excerpts from a poetry book in between every ingredient. Yes, the poetry is lovely, but it's forcing us to anticipate the deliciousness far too much more than reasonable. 

    While I personally may not have enjoyed trying this show as much as I would have liked, I do still recommend you give it a shot for yourself. I very much want to try and continue to give this show the benefit of the doubt, but I kept falling asleep during the fourth episode, so maybe it's not worth it for me. There is a good chance you might get something out of the experience I could not. Even so, have a pot of good coffee at the ready, just in case. 

Ladies & gentlemen, I am TheNorm; thank you all for reading. 

7/14/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Riddle of Fire - Little Film With A Big Heart

  Rent on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon, and YouTube      Sometimes, a movie is so unexpected, heartfelt, and enjoyable that you can't h...