Saturday, February 12, 2022

Trailer Reaction - Jurassic World: Dominion - You Can't be Serious!

 


    I have tried to give the modern Hollywood system the benefit of the doubt. I have tolerated and forgiven many faults from Tinseltown. I have sought to find a semblance of hope for creativity, individuality, and artistic integrity within the movie-making business dominated by the Los Angeles-based industry that has inspired many of us for generations. If there is any light at the end of this tunnel, I am having a more challenging time seeing it than usual! 

    While I will always have a fondness for cinema, genuine enthusiasm for the art of making movies, and an ever-growing interest to continue making my own films in whatever form I can, I have finally lost all hope for what once was the shining example of artistic freedom, creative risk-taking, and (dare I say) authenticity. Making movies may be a business, but there has to be a proper balance between making a profit and producing quality content for the consumer. Hollywood has gone incredibly off-balance in the worst possible way. 

    Please understand; I am not approaching this as a die-hard fan of the original Jurassic Park movie, nor am I expressing this level of disinterest as a hater of pop culture. I still enjoy the Marvel movies, the occasional Fast & Furious sequel or spin-off, and I absolutely love just about anything with Leonardo DiCaprio and/or Matt Damon (both gentlemen have been heroes to me for as long as I can remember). 

    The most toxic poison Hollywood has become addicted to is the dreaded and aggressive need for name recognition. Everything must be linked to a recognizable property; otherwise, nobody will care. At least, that's what every underpaid Hollywood executive gasping for air in the focus group meeting room seems to think. 

    How can we expect to find new voices if those in charge actively ignore them far too often? 

    I'm pretty sure I won't even bother sitting through this upcoming trainwreck, which, at this point, can only be worse than the last two attempts and making a classic intellectual property relevant again, forcing us to believe that Chris Pratt is a movie star and reminding us of the wasted opportunity no one seems to have considered. 

    I mentioned this before in my review of the last Jurassic World movie, and I'll repeat it: the story should be from the Dinosaur's perspective at this point. Blue, the raptor-compadre featured in both films, is significantly more interesting, textured, and sympathetic than any of the idiot cardboard characters we've been forced to follow. Not to mention, despite Chris Pratt revealing himself as one of the most limited talents working today, his face makes a lot of money in the 16 to 35 demographic. Which appears to be more important to the producers than anything else. 

    While I have no faith in this upcoming trainwreck, as challenging as it may be, I continue to have some faith in the better side of humanity that is struggling to have its voice heard within the Hollywood system. Because it is far too easy (and even lazy) to dismiss an entire enterprise without recalling that it is still, at its core, a human creation. As such, it is just as prone to all of the same faults and pitfalls as any living thinking person. But, it is also just as capable of revitalization and redemption. 

    Hollywood, as we once knew it, has imploded. Let us look forward to what may rise from its ashes in the future.

Ladies & gentlemen, I am TheNorm; thank you all for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Riddle of Fire - Little Film With A Big Heart

  Rent on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon, and YouTube      Sometimes, a movie is so unexpected, heartfelt, and enjoyable that you can't h...